To be KNOWLEDGEABLE means to develop and use conceptual understanding about how ideas are connected to both local and global issues.
Who is knowledgeable in your life? What makes them knowledgeable? It’s not just being book smart and recalling facts, its going further with the information that you have. Your teachers are knowledgeable. They have wide range of vocabulary specific to their subject and they have a deep understanding of the ideas, issues, and people which drive their content. Your teachers, coaches, and counselors bring this wisdom and experience to better serve you, the students.
Gateway High School Performing Arts Department presents Treasure Island.
Performances are on:
Thursday September 25, 2014 @ 7:00 pm
Friday September 26, 2014 @ 7:00 pm
Saturday September 27, 2014 7:00 pm
$5.00 for Students without an activity card
$3.00 for Students with a Gateway activity card
My name is Carolyn Parcheta and I am a Gateway alumna from the class of 2004.
I’d like to write and ask for Gateway’s support over the next 2 weeks. I have submitted a video to National Geographic’s Expedition Granted campaign, which will award $50,000 to the next “great explorer” as determined by public support over the internet. My 2 minute video submission about exploring the inside of Kilauea Volcano with a robot I’m currently building at Jet Propulsion Laboratory/California Institute of Technology has been selected as one of 10 finalist from over 700 applicants. If it would be possible to rally the student body to vote my project once a day between now and Sept 29th, I would sincerely appreciate your (and their) help. It would be nice to return home after 10 years.
To vote, please direct students go to: http://expeditiongranted.nationalgeographic.com/project/inside-a-volcano/
From there, if they click on the project titled “Inside a Volcano by Carolyn Parcheta” they will have access to my 2 minute video submission and a yellow button to vote for my project on the right side of the screen. The voting clock resets at 10 pm colorado time every day, and will be up until Sept 29th.
What is PSAT? The Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT) is a program co-sponsored by the College Board and National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC). PSAT is a standardized test:
- Provides first-hand practice for the SAT
- Measures critical reading, mathematical reasoning and writing skills needed for college
- Helps students identify their AP potential and college course readiness
Sophomores and juniors are encouraged to take the PSAT. Juniors who take the test may be eligible to enter NMSC competitions for scholarship and recognition. Increase your student’s college opportunities! Gateway will offer the PSAT on Saturday, October 18, 2014 at 7:45am.
Students may register by visiting the bookkeeper, Ms. Hill, by October 1st to make their payment and receive their Official PSAT Student Guide. The test fee is $14. Space is limited, so please register early. If you are a junior who qualifies for free/reduced lunch, please contact Mrs. Wachsmann in the Counseling Office to register with a fee waiver. We have a limited number of fee waivers available, so this is a first-come, first-serve basis. Mrs. Wachsmann can be reached at 303-326-1836.
Important Upcoming Dates – First Semester:
• Full DP Student Retreat Information Meeting (students only) – Wednesday, August 13th @ 3:30 p.m. in room 419
• IB DP Exam Information Meeting (students and parents) – Thursday, August 28th @ 6:30 p.m. in the Lecture Hall (During Parent/Teacher Conferences)
• IB DP Junior Induction (students and parents of full DP juniors) – Thursday, September 18th @ 6:30 p.m. in the Media Center
• Exam Registration September – October
• Full Diploma Program Student Retreat – October
- Wednesday is dynamic duo day, with a friends dress up as your favorite famous duo from movies, history, literature, tv, and beyond. Also after school on Wednesday we have the Senior vs. Juniors Girls Powder Puff flag football game at 4:30. Directly after powder puff at 6:00pm in the gym is Senior vs. Junior Boys Peach Fuzz Volleyball game.
- Thursday is throwback Thursday. During the day wear your favorite outfit from your favorite decade.
- After school on Thursday we will be having a BBQ during the boys soccer game at 4:00pm. Food at the BBQ will cost $2.00.
- After the soccer game starting at 6:00pm is the first ever throwback Thursday field day. Admission is $5.00 for all you can play field games, bouncy castles, cotton candy, face paint, and the chance to dunk your favorite teacher in our dunk tank.
- Throwback Thursday will end with our car bash. For $1.00 per 5 swings help us destroy a car decorated with Smokey Hill’s colors to help get pumped for the football game.
- Friday is Gateway spirit day, show off your oly pride with your best spirit outfits.
- After school Friday is the Homecoming Football game against Smokey Hill starting at 6:00pm.
- Saturday, Gateway’s Student Council Presents Homecoming 2014 “A Night in the Enchanted Forest.” The dance will be from 7-11pm in the Gateway gym. Tickets purchased at school between 9/15-9/19 will be $20.00. Tickets purchased at the dance on Saturday will be $25.00.
We look forward to seeing all your Olympian Pride this week as we celebrate Gateway’s rich history all week. GO OLYS!