Volunteer Position Title: Academic Tutor
Summary : Tutors will help elementary school students improve their reading and writing skills through structured tutoring sessions. Past experience in tutoring or education is not required as all tutors will receive an initial, comprehensive training on how to use the Reading A-Z curriculum. Tutors will also receive ongoing training and support throughout their time with ACC to ensure proper implementation of the curriculum and ongoing development towards becoming a high-quality tutor.
- Love of reading, writing and working with children
- Inclusive, friendly and respectful attitude towards people of all backgrounds
- Ability to work with children both individually and in small groups (i.e., 2-4)
- Creativity and enthusiasm in following basic learning plans and reading books
- Awareness of and responsiveness to children’s individual learning needs
- Use the Reading A-Z curriculum and related materials to assist children in grades 1-5 with the
development of their reading skills (decoding, fluency, comprehension, etc.)
- Assist children with homework and basic writing exercises
- Support children in developing confidence and a love of reading
- Note areas of strength and weakness, both in your own work and the work of the children, and communicate these with the Tutoring Program Coordinator, collaborating to address them
- Attend tutor trainings as required, with a commitment to practicing any new skills learned
Hours: Tutors must commit to working for at least one full session (Jan.—May, June—July or
Aug.—Dec.). Tutoring takes place Monday—Thursday from 3:30—4:30pm, and tutors may choose to work either Monday and Wednesday OR Tuesday and Thursday, for one or two hours each day. Tutors may also elect to come all four days, for one or two hours each day.
Start Date : Tutoring will begin on Monday, January 28, 2019, with required trainings on Wednesday, January 16th and Thursday, January 24th from 3:30-5:30pm.
Location : 9801 E. Colfax Ave. Suite 200, Aurora, CO 80010
For more information, or to apply to be a tutor, email Eliza Graumlich
at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 720-975-0147.