I am writing you all to tell you about the opportunity with Daniels Fund Scholarship Program. While this message mainly applies for Seniors, I want Juniors to know about the program as something to aim for and an option for next year.
The Daniels Scholarship Program provides a four-year annually-renewable college scholarship for graduating high school seniors in Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming who demonstrate exceptional character, leadership, and a commitment to serving their communities.
Daniels Scholars are selected because they embody the principles and values Bill Daniels defined as hallmarks of the program:
- Strength of character
- Leadership potential
- Commitment to serving their communities
- Academic performance or promise
- Well-rounded personality
- To be eligible for the Daniels Scholarship Program, students must meet the following requirements at the time of application:
Demonstrate financial need
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Be a resident of Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, or Wyoming
- Be a high school senior graduating from a school in Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, or Wyoming
- Earn a minimum SAT Math score of 470 and a minimum Evidence-Based Reading & Writing score of 450 or a minimum ACT score of 17 in each category (writing score not required). All scores must come from a single test. Super scoring is not accepted.
How does the Daniels Scholarship Program determine financial need?
- Several factors determine financial eligibility. The income and assets of the applicant and their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as well as individual circumstances, are considered.
- Students do not need to be Pell eligible to be financially eligible for the Daniels Scholarship Program, but they must demonstrate the need for financial assistance.
The first step in the process is completing the 2019-2020 FAFSA. The FAFSA can be completed here starting October 1, 2018. According to the FAFSA website, if students submit their FAFSA electronically, it should take 3-5 days to receive their Student Aid Report (SAR). The SAR will indicate their Expected Family Contribution (EFC) which is required to proceed with the Daniels Scholarship Program Eligibility Questionnaire.
Applicants must complete the Daniels Scholarship Program Eligibility Questionnaire which requires their EFC from their SAR and additional financial information from the applicant and his/her parent(s) or legal guardian(s). The Eligibility Questionnaire collects information to determine if the applicant is financially eligible and if they demonstrate financial need. Those who do not satisfy the eligibility requirements will not be able to proceed to the application. Applicants who do meet the eligibility requirements will proceed to the application, and will be required to submit documents that will be used to verify their eligibility, such as their SAR; official ACT/SAT scores; citizenship and residency documentation; and financial documents.
What does Daniels Fund cover:
The Daniels Scholarship is a comprehensive college scholarship that pays toward the costs of:
- Tuition and fees
- Room and board
- Books and supplies
- Miscellaneous educational expenses
It is a "last dollar" scholarship, so it is secondary to all other grants and scholarships. After considering the student's other scholarships, financial aid (federal, state, and institutional), and any work-study accepted, as well as the determined Expected Family Contribution (EFC), the Daniels Fund pays toward the scholar's remaining education costs. Scholarship amounts are unique to each Daniels Scholar, and can vary from year to year.
Applications and recommendations must be submitted online through the Daniels Fund's application website between October 1 and November 29, 2018 at 4:00 PM MST. The application website will be linked from this website beginning October 1, 2018.
Apply by going to this link: https://www.danielsfund.org/scholarships/daniels-scholarship-program/apply
If you have any questions or want to learn more about the program, please come visit me in the College and Career Center.